Handling Items Marked as Lost – all procedures, PDF with all screenshots
Items are automatically aged to lost in Polaris after being 45 days overdue. Notices are sent to patrons via their preferred method of notification (phone, email and/or text) when an item is overdue for 7, 12 and 30 days. After 45 days, patrons are sent a bill for the replacement cost of the lost item.
Notification history can be found in the Patron Status workform. All lost items are found in Patron Status under the Claims workform.
There are different procedures for:
- Items marked lost and the patron wants to pay for the item
- Items marked lost and the patron wants to replace the item
BPL Staff: If a patron is replacing a lost item, please also follow the instructions for adding gifts to the collection after you’ve handled the item marked as lost.
- Items marked lost prior to December 13, 2012 that patrons claim they returned/never had
- Items marked lost after December 13, 2012 that patrons claim they returned/never had
- Items marked lost that have a zztitle